When we think of autumn, many things come to mind and one of them is pumpkins. Pumpkin Spice Lattes, homemade pumpkin pies, and good ole’ pumpkin carving are among some favorites. Pumpkin is even considered a “superfood” considering how many benefits it can give us. It is rich in vitamin A (good for the eyes), high in potassium (great for the heart), and can give you 19% of your daily value of vitamin C to boost your immune system. Pumpkin also contains carotenoids which can help protect against certain types of cancer and will keep you full.
Here are several fun pumpkin activities to enjoy with your child this fall season:
1. Make Pumpkin Pie Play Dough- See recipe here https://www.coffeecupsandcrayons.com/edible-pumpkin-pie-play-dough/
2. Make a “No Carve” Pumpkin by letting the kids paint it or put their hand prints on them instead.
3. Hammer a Pumpkin- Put golf tees into the pumpkin and let your kiddo hit it with a child’s hammer. Not only is this fun, but it also allows them to practice their fine motor skills, and strengthen their wrist muscles.
4. Make some yummy cookies together.
3 Ingredient Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 15-ounce can of pumpkin
1 box Spice Cake Mix powder
1 cup chocolate chips
· Preheat oven to 350°
· Line the baking sheet with parchment paper
· Mix your pumpkin and cake mix together (unprepared, powder only) in a medium bowl until there are no more lumps. Fold in the chocolate chips.
· Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
· Bake for 13-15 minutes, until edges start to golden.
· Frost if you want to!