Parenting Tip of the Month
Click here to view our April Parenting Tip, "The Early Years are Learning Years," or see below.
The Early Years Are Learning Years
During play and daily routines like handwashing, parents can provide learning opportunities such as counting. Because a child’s brain develops more rapidly during the first 5 years, Vroom, a website and app, was developed to assist families in promoting their child’s development. They provide science-based tips to turn everyday moments with your child into brain building opportunities. There are three ways to get started, visit their website at www.vroom.org, download their free app, or text vroom to 48258.
While some electronic toys and screen devices have educational benefits, it is important to also have a balance with non-electronic toys. There are many research studies looking at the impact screen time has on children’s development. A new study from the National Institute of Health called the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study will follow more than 11,000 nine and ten-year-olds into early adulthood to study a variety of factors that contribute to brain development.
This year's Week of the Young Child celebration is April 11-17. To help families celebrate, NAEYC has picked activity themes for each day of the week that promote young children's learning --- Music Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Work Together Wednesday, Artsy Thursday and Family Friday.
Be sure to sign up to receive our “Parenting Tip of the Month” email. Topics include child development, tips and much more!
- Click here and submit the completed online form to start receiving your tips.
- January 2020 - Making the Most of Praise
- December 2019 - Choosing Toys that Help Promote Development
- November 2019 - Reading with Your Little Ones
- October 2019 - Fall in Love with Apples
- September 2019 - Baby Safety Month
- August 2019 - Back to Bedtimes in Preparation for Back to School
- July 2019 - Safety While Out & About
- June 2019 - June is National Potty Training Awareness Month
- May 2019 - National Child Care Provider Appreciation Day
- April 2019 - Children & Chores
- March 2019 - Monitoring Your Child's Development
- February 2019 - Keeping Baby Teeth Healthy
- January 2019 - Responding to Challenging Behaviors
- December 2018 - Minimixing Holiday Stress
- November 2018 - The Importance of Reading to Young Children