Parenting Tip of the Month
August Parenting Tip of the Month
Back to School Bedtime
- Two weeks before the first day of school, gradually adjust children’s sleep and wake schedules. This will help reset their biological clocks.
- To make sure children are getting enough sleep, also keep a regular bedtime on the weekends.
- Children need time to wind down, so plan a relaxing bedtime routine. Keep the routine the same so children can associate all steps with sleep.
- The sleep environment should be cool, quiet, dimly lit, and comfortable.
- Electronics (video games, TV, computer, cell phone, and tablets) should be turned off one hour before bed. The artificial blue light from screens can increase alertness and contribute to poor sleep.
- Limit caffeine six hours before bedtime.
- Provide children with healthy meals and regular exercise to promote sleep.
Be sure to sign up to receive our “Parenting Tip of the Month” email. Topics include child development, tips, and much more!
Click here and submit the completed online form to start receiving your tips.