Parenting Tip of the Month
Click here to view our August Parenting Tip, "Back to Bedtimes in Preparation for Back to School," or see below.
Back to Bedtimes in Preparation for Back to School
August is back to school month for many families. This means purchasing new school supplies, arranging transportation and adjusting to a new routine. One way parents can help their child have a successful start to the new school year is by developing a bedtime routine now. According to a research study found in the Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics on sleep and preschoolers, 4 year olds that received less than average sleep times had increased rates of behavior problems. (Wolters Kluwer Health: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; July 2013 edition)
To help you develop a sleep routine for your child, here are some tips from the National Sleep Foundation:
- Two weeks before the first day of school, gradually adjust children’s sleep and wake schedules. This will help reset their biological clocks.
- To make sure children are getting enough sleep, also keep a regular bedtime on the weekends.
- Children need time to wind down, so plan a relaxing bedtime routine. Keep the routine the same so children can associate all steps with sleep.
- The sleep environment should be cool, quiet, dimly lit and comfortable.
- Electronics (video games, TV, computer, cell phone and tablets) should be turned off one hour before bed. The artificial blue light from screens can increase alertness and contribute to poor sleep.
- Limit caffeine six hours before bedtime.
- Provide children with healthy meals and regular exercise to promote sleep.
Suggested sleep requirements for the entire family:
For more tips on supporting your child’s sleep, click here to visit the National Sleep Foundation website. You can also click here for suggestions on how prepare your child for the new school year from Aha!Parenting.
National Sleep Foundation website, https://sleepfoundation.org/
ScienceDaily website, “Tots who sleep less have more behavior problems, study finds," https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130710114228.htm
Be sure to sign up to receive our “Parenting Tip of the Month” email. Topics include child development, tips and much more!
- Click here and submit the completed online form to start receiving your tips.
- July 2019 - Safety While Out & About
- June 2019 - June is National Potty Training Awareness Month
- May 2019 - National Child Care Provider Appreciation Day
- April 2019 - Children & Chores
- March 2019 - Monitoring Your Child's Development
- February 2019 - Keeping Baby Teeth Healthy
- January 2019 - Responding to Challenging Behaviors
- December 2018 - Minimixing Holiday Stress
- November 2018 - The Importance of Reading to Young Children
- October 2018 - Fun with Fall
- September 2018 - Car Passenger Safety